Join the movement.
South Hills neighbors make the best volunteers. Last year, volunteers served more than 28,181 hours, but there’s more work to be done.
I wanted to give back to my community and to an organization that I knew added tremendous value to the refugee community in Pittsburgh. SHIM does so much wonderful work for our entire community. It’s neighbors helping neighbors, and I’m proud to be part of the work."Lejla
For me personally, volunteering at SHIM has been one of the great blessings in my life."Will
Join me in finding the time in your incredibly busy schedules to give back by volunteering. There is enough in the world to share with all, and our community needs us."Mandy
Volunteer opportunities – Immediate
- Provide students in grades K-5 with homework help, assist with daily programming.
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Thursday, 4 – 6pm
- Help middle and high school students with math, English, science and history.
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Friday, 4 – 5:30pm
- School year opportunity, begins September 3, 2019
- Serve as the “Face of SHIM” and greet visitors
- Answer incoming phone calls, accept daily donations of food and clothing, complete other office duties as assigned
- Must be a good communicator, able to climb stairs to accept incoming donations, attend training session.
- Volunteer in four hour weekly shifts or as substitute volunteer.
- Plant, weed, maintain and harvest during the spring, summer and fall growing seasons.
- Gardening experience is helpful, but not necessary.
- Volunteers are needed at multiple locations from May through October.
- Be a role model for middle and high school students in a group setting, plan weekly activities and off-site field trips.
- Mentors must be 18 or older and complete mandated reporter training.
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Thursday, 6 – 8pm
- School year opportunity, begins October 2019
Volunteer opportunities – Ongoing
- Loading and unloading van of bags and boxes of food
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Dates and times are short notice, various locations, and TBD.
- Short and process clothing donations, stock clothing racks and manage clothing inventor
- Volunteer one or multiple days week; Mondays 9:30am – 1pm, Tuesdays 12:30 – 4:30 pm, Fridays 9am – 12pm.
- Work on research and special projects, as assigned
- Experience with data entry is preferred.
- Volunteer must be comfortable with computers and Microsoft Office.
- Help three and four-year-olds with art projects, snack preparations and more.
- Volunteer one more multiple days a week; Monday through Friday, 9 – 11am
- School year opportunity
- Driver’s assistant is needed on Tuesday mornings from our Bethel Park location to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
- Volunteer must be able to load and unload bags and boxes of food, up to 40 lbs.
- On-going, weekly opportunity
- Load and stock bags and boxes at our food pantry locations
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Volunteer in three hour shifts, twice per month.
- Weigh incoming produce from community partners, pack and store donations for distribution
- Volunteers are needed on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings from June through October.
- Organizations like scouts, sports teams, schools, clubs and more are invited to volunteer your time with SHIM. Sign up for an existing opportunity, or reach out to create one for your group.
- Host a drive for SHIM. Learn more at shimcares.org/host-a-drive.
- Keep SHIM shining clean.
- Provide a wide range of maintenance services (plumbing, electrical, general repairs and maintenance, painting, etc.)
- Assist in planning the annual SHIM Holocaust Observance.
- Serve as liaison between SHIM and your house of worship by sharing updates in congregation communications, organizing drives, helping recruit volunteers.
- Join us once a week at SHIM in Bethel Park and see the difference a phone call can make in the life of an older adult living independently in our community.
- Act as a SHIM representative to provide valuable information for SHIM’s programming and events.
- Must enjoy being and working in a public setting.
- Volunteer at various locations with non-traditional hours.
- SHIM welcomes you to create an even that’s all your own! If you’re celebrating a birthday or other social gathering – turn it into a gift that can help others. Work with Debi, our volunteer manager, to have proceeds from your event support SHIM.
- Help transport SHIM clients to our new location under a mile from SHIM Center.
- Must be comfortable with immigrant neighbors and able to drive a six or 15 passenger vehicle
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Tuesday through Thursday, times may vary by day, shifts are three hours
- Mentor new job seekers by sharing your professional expertise.
- Provide career guidance
- Participate in mock interviews
- Assist with electronic job applications and job search activities
- Sporadic opportunity
Interested in volunteering with SHIM?
Please complete this short form. Don’t worry, your information will only be used for SHIM volunteer opportunities.
Joining the movement.
SHIM volunteers are required to complete an application, attend an orientation and have PA Criminal Background, PA Child Abuse clearance and FBI/Act153 waiver. Please review what to expect during the volunteer orientation process.
Sign up for a volunteer event
23 Oct 2019
As SHIM expands to serve a growing number of foreign-born and local families, our most critical needs are food and…
- South Hills Interfaith Movement, 5301 Park Ave, Bethel Park, PA 15102Location
Did you know?
Volunteering combats loneliness. The Campaign to End Loneliness says nearly 45% of people in the US admit to feeling lonely. The benefits of consistent socializing, like volunteering, include better brain function and lower risk for depression and anxiety.