Share your time and talents. Volunteer with SHIM.
South Hills neighbors make the best volunteers. And in the last year, volunteers served over 20,200 hours - that’s 842 days of non-stop volunteering by the South Hills community. But there’s more work to be done. Join our community of neighbors helping neighbors!
Upcoming volunteer orientations at SHIM Center. RSVP is required.
Tuesday, April 18 at 1:30 p.m.
To discuss a volunteer opportunity for you, your family or group, or to RSVP to attend an upcoming orientation, contact Rebecca Maletto-Cornell, our volunteer manager, at email@example.com or 412-854-9120 ext. 106.
HOT LIST OPPORTUNITIES
Act as a SHIM representative to provide valuable information for SHIM's programming and events. Must enjoy being and working in a public setting. Various locations with non-traditional hours.
Volunteer will work on research and special projects, as assigned. Experience with data entry and analysis is preferred. Must be comfortable with computers and Microsoft Office.
ONGOING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Thursday, 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Support students in grades K-5
- Provide homework help
- Assist with daily programs
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Friday, 9:00am-11:30am
- Help 3 and 4 year olds with arts projects, snack preparations and more
- Sort and process food donations
- Stock pantry shelves
- Assist families in SHIM’s shop-through pantry
- Pantry receptionist
- Pantry shuttle drivers
- Baldwin United Presbyterian Church Pantry: second and fourth Tuesdays of the month
- Bethel Park Pantry: second and fourth Thursdays and Fridays of the month
- Prospect Park Pantry: first and third Wednesdays of the month
- Weigh incoming produce from community partners
- Package and store donations for distribution
- Volunteers are needed on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings from June through October
- Organizations like scouts, sports teams, schools, clubs and more are invited to volunteer your time with SHIM. Sign up for an existing opportunity, or reach out to create one for your group.
- Host a drive for SHIM. Learn more at shimcares.org/give/host-drive
- Volunteer one or multiple days a week; Monday through Thursday, 4:00pm-5:30pm
- Help middle and high school students with math, English, science and history
- Keep SHIM shining clean
- Provide a wide range of maintenance services (plumbing, electrical, general repairs and maintenance, painting, etc.)
- Assist in planning the annual SHIM Holocaust Observance
- Serve as liaison between SHIM and your house of worship by sharing updates in congregation communications, organizing drives, helping recruit volunteers
- Serves as the "Face of SHIM" and greets visitors
- Accepts and records daily donations
- Must have a welcoming personality, be a good communicator, have knowledge of office equipment and Microsoft Office programs, be able to climb stairs and lift 30 pounds
- Volunteers needed for four hour shifts (8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- Plant, weed, maintain and harvest during the spring, summer and fall growing seasons
- Gardening experience is helpful, but not necessary
- Volunteers are needed at multiple locations from May through October
- SHIM welcomes you to create an even that’s all your own! If you’re celebrating a birthday or other social gathering – turn it into a gift that can help others. Work with Rebecca, our volunteer manager, to have proceeds from your event support SHIM.
- Gain on-the-job experience in:
- Special event planning
- Social services and more
- To apply, Rebecca Maletto-Cornell, our volunteer manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-854-9120 ext. 106.
- Mentor new job seekers by sharing your professional expertise
- Provide career guidance
- Participate in mock interviews
- Assist with electronic job applications and job search activities